Founded in July 2017, Wyze has set foot in the market as one of the most innovative smart home companies in the market. They came with a mission in mind, “Making smart home technology accessible to everyone”. They aim to offer efficient and cost-effective smart products, to suit every customer’s need.
Wyze focused on price as a main competitive advantage, in the long run, they offer very low prices that you can find a smart cam for 20-30$ or a smart bulb for 10$.
Wyze: a story to tell
The four founders of Wyze Labs were all employees at Amazon before starting their own company, that’s why they share the same business values; low margins, high volume, customer-centric strategy and a value-based mindset.
The Washington based start-up has 25 employees working in it, and is funded by iSeed Ventures.
In october 2017 they launched their first product; Wyze Cam.
The company’s main strategy depended mostly on Amazon’s values, however they created their own tactics and approach to put the strategy into action.
They offered outstanding products with very low prices, to assure that smart home kits are affordable to every customer.
Some predict that these tactics won’t last forever, as some suggest that the company is trying to gain a customer base first with an attractive ecosystem rather than offering expensive kits from the beginning. Wyze is relying on a long term strategy to create their own success story.
In 2019, the company launched a range of products that includes Wyze Bulb, Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan.
The company introduced the second generation of the Wyze Cam, which makes us think that the company is on its way to offer a larger line of products soon.
This product is considered the cheapest product from Wyze.
Smart bulbs are the most used product in smart homes, they are considered the basic level in automating your home. They are easy to install and use, and don’t need an expert.
To set it up you have to have a 2.4GHz network as you can’t use 5GHz WiFi, and you don’t need to have a third-party hub.
Wyze offers one of the cheapest smart WiFi-enabled bulbs in the market, with price point 7.99$ on the company website, and 30$ for 4-pack bulbs.
Those bulbs can be lit by voice command through either Alexa or Google Assistant, also you can adjust brightness and color temperature.
On the other hand, you can use the Wyze app to control the light bulb.
The bulb’s brightness goes up to 800 lumens, which is similar to a common 60-watt luminous bulb. The color temperature ranges between 2700-6500 kelvin, to adjust the lightning to your likings.
However, this LED bulb excels at the longer lifespan and lower running cost.
As an extra advantage, you can schedule your lights and activate Away Mode unlike other regular smart bulbs in the market. This allows you to make the light go on whenever you want even if you are outside the house, so the house looks occupied, keeping away burglars.
By incorporating the Wyze bulb with other products in the ecosystem, you can have motion-detected lighting, so the light is on whenever you step into the room.
As we already mentioned, this is the second generation of this cam, the first was launched a year before in 2018. The Wyze Cam v2 comes at a 25$ price mark, with the same features available in its pricier rivals.
This is a wireless security cam designed especially for indoor use, however, offering an outside security camera in on the company’s plan.
- Video capture resolution 1080p in full HD
- 110-degree lens, for a wider view
- Zoom in up to 8X while live streaming, without losing clarity or focus
- Night vision, that allows recording even in very dark nights for up to 30 feet (9.14 meters) distance
- Intelligent AI-fuelled person detection, that ensures that you get only the important notifications with almost no false triggers
- Motion-tagging tech to detect motion while live streaming or while watching recorded video
- Time-lapse video and two-way audio features
- Wyze gives you up to the 14-day rolling plan of recorded footage, unlike rivals who offer restrictive contracts
- Ability to store footage locally on a microSD card. Not provided with the cam but can be bought separately.
- In-built algorithm to detect the sound of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- Easy installation using a magnetic base and adhesive tape, no screws needed
Wyze Cam Pan
This camera gives you all the features in the Wyze Cam plus a 360-degree room coverage.
- Protects a wider space through 120-degree viewing angle, 360 degrees horizontal panning and 93 degrees vertical tilting
- Three seconds Pan scan feature to check your room based on four preset waypoints
- 1080p full HD video recording
- Clear night image up to 30 feet distance with the help of 6 infrared LEDs
- 2-way audio rendering Cam Pan through the class-K amplifier
- Push notifications to notify you whenever there’s a suspected security violation. When the camera senses the breach it sends you an alert and starts recording a 12-second event video.
Wyze Labs offers many benefits in its products, and they are still trying to incorporate other technologies to help customers in home automation.
The company product line has something for everyone, their products add value at a low price.